Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Sweet Life

Well another Hallowe-en has come and gone. Candy wrappers can be seen swirling with the golden fall leaves. Kids look dazed from sugar rush. And Christmas decorations have sprung up in the shops. As a family we have never celebrated Hallowe-en. I mean really, how can you celebrate witches, and demons, and evil??? I am not against young children having fun, or depriving them of a few sweets. Just the fact that the day represents so much more ... but I will hold that thought to another day.

Let's concentrate on the candy issue. Being very frugal, thrifty and down right cheap, I find it hard to resist a great deal. I happened upon one such deal yesterday ...


75% off all Hallowe-en candy! Wow! Honestly ... It was like the three boxes jumped into my cart by themselves ... each with 90 or so mini candy bars ... at a meager total of about $9.00 I had purchased enough calories to sustain a whole army! What was I thinking? Obviously it was clear that I wasn't. Looking back I recall being somewhat peckish while walking the aisles at the grocery store. That was it. That most important rule of ALL rules was forgotten ...
~ * ~ NEVER SHOP HUNGRY ~ * ~


Well, what is done is done. The 'Genius' son has been off sugar for months now. I knew that. The Hubby is able to eat anything he wants and so he will have his share of the plunder. Myself, I have to lose a few ... OK many, many pounds, so I should keep the candy at arm's length. And then somewhere in the back of my mind, I have a faint recollection of our two daughters trying to scrape out a meager existence for themselves in their univeristy dorm rooms. That's it! I can just see the sheer joy on their young faces when they open a carefully wrapped and candy laden care package from me ... their favourite mom.

Problem solved ... Life is indeed sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...